frequently asked questions

What utility services does the City of Scranton provide?

The City of Scranton provides water, sewer, garbage, recycling and landfill services. The water and sewer utilities are owned and operated by the City. Garbage and recycling is picked up by an independent contractor, but billed to you by the city.

Who provides electrical and gas service in Scranton?

For natural gas service, please call Black Hills Energy at 1-888-890-5554.

For electrical service, please call Alliant Energy at 1-800-ALLIANT (255-4268).

How can I get my utility account with Scranton set up?

To secure water, sewer and garbage services from the city, you will to complete an application for service and present a photo ID. You will also be required to pay a service deposit and account set up fee. For your convenience, a utility service application is available on our website for you to complete in advance. City Hall is located at 900 Eagle Street in Scranton.

How can I pay my utility bill?
The City of Scranton accepts many forms of payment including cash, check, credit/debit cards, e-checks, and auto withdrawal. Auto withdrawal is a method where your utility bill is automatically deducted from your bank account on the 15th of each month. You can pay on-line by card or e-check by using the Bill Pay option from the top menu bar. You can also make your payment at City Hall Monday-Friday from 8am-4pm or place it in the outside drop box. You can also mail payment to: City of Scranton, P.O. Box 428, Scranton, Iowa 51462.

What are your rules for Garbage collection?

All household trash must be bagged and placed curbside by 5:00 a.m. on Tuesday mornings. Each household is allowed one garbage container (estimated 4-5 bags, depending on bag size) each week. Additional bags may be charged $2 per bag. Please make sure you are not parked in front of the garbage and that a clear path is shoveled to your trash during the winter. The city does not provide garbage containers.

Do you offer recycling?

The city has a weekly curbside recycling program. All recycling must be clean and separated. For additional information, please refer to the Recycling Guide found on our Home page.

How does the City treat the drinking water?
The City’s water treatment plant filters iron and manganese from the raw water. Following filtration, the water is treated with chlorine as a disinfectant, and fluoride to protect against tooth decay before it is discharged into the distribution system for use.

When and where does the City Council meet?
The City Council meets the second Tuesday of each month at 6:00 p.m. in the City Council Chambers located at 900 Eagle Street. Special meetings are called occasionally. Agendas for all meetings will be posted at least 24 hours in advance at City Hall.

How can I address the Council at a council meeting?

We have citizen's open forum at the beginning of each regular council meeting. To be placed on the speaker's list you need to contact the City Clerk prior to the start of the meeting. During the open forum, you will be given the opportunity to speak for up to 3 minutes. If the matter needs further discussion, the council will request the matter be placed on the next meeting agenda. If you are not able to attend the meeting, we request you submit a request in writing. All correspondence should contain your name, address and phone number.

Do I need a building permit?

Building or other structures shall not be erected, moved, added to, or structurally altered without a building permit. A building permit application form can be found on our Home page. It is very important that your permit include dimensions of the improvement as well as all distances from the property line. If you are unsure where your property lines are located you may need to have the property surveyed. The city does not locate lot pins.

I am going to do some digging on my property. Who do I call to locate the utility lines?

Iowa law requires that any person, homeowner, professional, public or private entity, planning to engage in any form of excavation within the state of Iowa, must notify the Iowa One Call notification system, at 1-800-292-8989, at least 48 hours prior to excavating. The Iowa One Call notification system is a free call and a free service to all persons planning an excavation within the state of Iowa. The required 48 hours advance notice does not include Saturdays and Sundays or legal holidays. Iowa One Call is a non-profit organization funded by the owners and operators of underground facilities who are required by law to belong to the system. Iowa One Call is committed to maintaining and operating a notification system efficient in relaying information and safeguarding underground facilities essential to all Iowans. Your phone call to Iowa One Call will send notification out to all utility companies.

Who do I contact about my street light being out?

Please call City Hall at 712-652-3888 with the exact location of the light and a description of the problem. Each street light pole is numbered. If you are able to get the pole number please provide that to city hall. Example: out all the time, blinking on and off, or stays on during the day. The more information you can provide the better. City staff will then document the information and contact Alliant Energy.