Click the picture to be taken to the library official website.
The doors of the first library were opened in a local school house. The library was forced to move to various buildings when the school needed the room allowed for the library in the 1920's. The Scranton Welfare League stepped in and purchased the Old Farmers Merchant building for the library use.
With the help of the League, clubs and donations, the library was able to provide service until 1937, when the city passed a resolution to establish a town library levying a tax of 1 1/2 mills for maintenance. In 1954 plans were made to tear down the old building and with the united efforts of the community in providing time, efforts and resources, a new library was completed by the close of 1954. With the growing use of the library, more room was needed. In 1972, with the help of the Kinney-Lindstrom and matching funds provided by town citizens, the existing library was doubled the size. This building was used until September of 2014 when the existing H.F. and Maude E. Marchant Memorial Library was opened.
The Marchant Memorial Library was made possible by a $453,000 estate check from the Marchant family for the building and maintenance of a new library. On September 6th, 2014 the library moved to its new location and opened its doors to the public on the 10th! A grand opening was held on September 27th to commemorate the beautiful building and generous donation.